Thursday, October 8, 2015

"The Lord gave and the Lord hath taken away..."

One verse per week memorized and pondered for 20 years... Are you in? #ponderize #ldsconf
Source


My verse: 
"...Naked came I out of my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return thither: the Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord." Job 1:21

Oh Job, how I admire your courage. 

Often I get caught up in asking the Lord to GIVE. Bless me with this, bless me with that, please help me to do this, or bless. GIVE to me oh Lord. GIVE. 

The idea of "Taken away" by the Lord is uncomfortable. It's scary. It's usually quoted to describe the idea that even hard things are God's will. This can be seriously painful, and true. 

As of late though, I've been pondering the idea that having things "taken away" by the Lord is NOT a bad thing. 

What things can you think of that we WANT God to take away? 

Sin, hardship, pain, fear, despair. So many things we pray to be relieved of. 

Do you see it? 

Can you feel it? 

The Lord can take away every pain and infirmity. He can erase your bad choices, your mistakes, and your blantant disobedience. 

Oh yes, the Lord, through His atonement has truly taken it all away by taking it on Himself. 

Yes, sometimes God takes away the things we want, or think we need. Often we get upset, and act like the naughty, beligerent children that we are. 

But at the very core of the Gospel is Jesus Christ giving freely of Himself in every way as He gracefully and perfectly takes away. 

It is the absolute balance that we need. It is a masterpiece of perfection. 

It is the gospel in one short verse. 

The Lord gave and the Lord hath taken away. 




No comments:

Post a Comment